Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tapering II

There is a half-marathon at the end of this week.  That means rest, hydration and carbs.  None of which, admittedly, I'm naturally prone to indulge in.  I'm a twitchy, constantly in motion, coffee-drinking, low-to-no-carb girl by nature.  It's easy, it's what I've always been and it's gotten me this far.

But, I must admit, I've enjoyed this week.  I ran, but not intensely, I challenged myself with lifting and cross training and focused on eating small portions of carbs every day.  My focus was placed on stretching and strengthening as opposed to crushing my morning runs.  The heat helped to slow me down and I found myself suddenly grateful for the tapering excuse.

It still feels unnatural and I'm convinced the increase in carbs (and maybe the heat) resulted in a lower energy level but, again, I'm reminded that this week will pay off tomorrow when my run isn't painful because my body is rested, hydrated and properly fueled.

I may not be a fan of tapering but I certainly respect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment