Sunday, July 31, 2011

Marathon Training Eve (July 31, 2011 to the rest of you).

Eight months ago the blocks on my training schedule read "Run .5 Miles, PM."  Meaning I was leaving work, walking two aching blocks, going to the gym, changing into layers of winter running gear, leaving the gym, running five blocks and returning back.  In December, August 1, 2011 seemed painfully out of reach.  Every step hurt, every breath burned my lungs and every block was a reminder of how far I'd fallen.  But 5 blocks became 10 and 10 blocks became 2 miles a few weeks later and so it goes.

If I haven't been training for a Marathon the last 8 months, then what have I been doing?  Clawing my way back; getting stronger; learning better habits; using better habits and mentally kicking my own ass.  I also managed to set a few PR's along the way; bench the bar 115 times (in sets, not straight) in one workout; break up with my garmin; get back together with my garmin; learn how to run effectively with water; attempted Paleo, fail; and found my way back to appreciating the journey (thank you best friend formerly of Phoenix).

"And now here I stand, head [not] in hand, turn my face [from] the wall" - ready to complete what I started 19 months ago with brand new mile markers, new faces and a new and improved support network.

Today I ran to Manayunk for the first time in eleven months:  12 miles, 153 minutes, a few hills, 3 water fountains, a near collision with a biker who will receive back in karma what he almost got back from me today and a ferocity that I defy any injury to ever dull.  I am back. Better than ever. And coming after the Philadelphia Marathon in November 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment