Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Eye contact, small smile and "good morning."

As the warmer weather folds itself around our training programs and the layers come off, our paths inevitably crowd.  There we find walkers, in packs and alone, old and young, pushing strollers or pulling retrievers, riders announced by bells, whistles, or "on your left" blazing by in a neon blur, new runners struggling with uphills that have long faded for you and flocks of geese crossing at any given moment. I've chosen to run toward and with this crowd rather than from it because almost 7 years ago someone reminded me that life (and running) is not all about time (or getting through the crowd) but about our experiences along the way. 


I wasn't a runner then.  At best, I was a law student fiercely riding the "muscle memory" theory of athleticism. I was a confident enough twenty five to ignore the fact I hadn't run or thought of running in over a year and sign up for a hot 5k in Wilmington, Delaware in May, 2005.  Because, after all, it was only three miles and back in 1998 I was a cross country machine.  No worries.

Fast forward to the day of the race.  Hungover, with hungover friends, driving to a waterfront to run for a cause I can't now recall - debating whether to run - pulling it together - and ultimately setting out for what remains one of the most painful races I've ever participated in.  But, from pain comes strength and, if we're lucky, lasting lessons.  That day, I was lucky enough to run with a friend who showed me in the simplest way that running, like many other things in life, provides opportunities to connect and be kind at every turn.  Despite his late night, early morning and possible hangover, he said "good morning" or "hi" or waved or nodded or smiled at every person we passed along the way.  Every walker, rider, runner, child, woman, man and dog along the Wilmington waterfront that morning learned that this was a man who enjoyed the journey as much as the destination.

Each time I lace up my shoes, no matter the path or how many people I pass along the way, I carry this lesson in my pocket and say "hello" as I move among the crowd.  It surprises some, others beat me to it and ultimately I've found that those connections on a longer run can make or break me. 

So as the crowds form (and they will) and people inevitably get in the way of a straight line on a long, hot run (and they will), I think it's important to remember community and kindness and take that opportunity to make eye contact, smile and say "good morning."

No comments:

Post a Comment