Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Yasso 800.

At 5:00 AM on Monday morning, I was the runner stretching in the shadows of one of the stone walls bracketing the Art Museum.  It was the cloudy kind of dark morning when the stars aren't visible, the moon is missing and even the streetlights seem too tired to light the way.  And there I was: warmed up, layered, wondering if I could safely stash my vitamin water in the rocks, and ready to throw down my last round of serious speed work.

The idea: run 8 x 800 in a cycle of sprinting and recovery jogging with no rest.  The pain:  burning lungs and aching hamstrings.  The prior 800's workouts: still freshly painful in my mind.  The solution: treat it like the last game of your career and go all in.

And so, on this morning, gone were the nerves and ghosts of workouts past and in their place, these words, "This is your body to beat the crap out of." This was a reminder that lamenting this workout would get me nowhere before, during or afterward.  It is what I would say to myself when I truly couldn't catch my breath, when my hamstrings were on fire and when I was "only" halfway and the world seemed cruel and tortured.

Inhale deeply.

Exhale out the negativity.

Inhale.  I have two legs.  I am healthy.  This morning is a blessing.  Be grateful.

Exhale.   Go hard.

#1 in 3:23: I am strong and ready for the next 7.

#2 in 3:26: I could do this all morning.  I am lucky and struck by my body's ability to pay strength training forward.  I feel no pain.

#3 in 3:29:  It is cold and my hands and legs sting but the air is brilliant and energizing.  I cannot wait for the sun to come up.

#4 in 3:35: Thank god there are more people on the path now.  I need the flow.

#5 in 3:35: I'm on the downside and no sign of my hamstrings yet - check in win column.

#6 in 3:40: Unacceptable to even think, "wheels coming off bus."  Think of the damn school bus wheels going 'round and 'round until you are done.

#7 in 3:29: You can go harder.

#8 in 3:26:  Dear Bart Yasso:  I owned this workout.  Tell me I'm ready.

Inhale. Your lungs are calming down.

Exhale.  Get control back.

Inhale.  I have two legs. I am healthy, This morning is a blessing.

Exhale.  Be grateful.




No comments:

Post a Comment