Friday, January 28, 2011

Peas & Carrots

Before I begin, it's worth saying that I'm not some sort of Forrest Gump diehard.  Yes, since 1994 I've heard "Run Jenny..." and "Me & Jenny we go together like ....," you guessed it, "peas and carrots."  I suppose I can thank Tom Hanks' twang for adding a little southern sincerity to the mainly northern accents I come across as a woman, named Jenny, running in Philadelphia.

As I sit here at the end of a long week (of work, snow, training, not-so-much sleeping, cleaning, cooking and barely anything outside the 23 blocks from home to work and back again), my (right) knee is pleasantly numb thanks to my giant bag of Peas & Carrots.

Over the last 12 months I've tried a lot of different frozen vegetables and some fruit - even frozen puff pastry in a very desperate moment (did not work out well - trust me, not a good idea) - on my super sore tendons and nothing can touch the depth to which Peas & Carrots can go to mold to where you ache (although frozen cranberries can be a very close second, oddly enough).

Few things in this life are so consistent as this.  I say, take advantage while you can.  Smash a bag on the floor a few times and place the frozen goodness on your most inflamed tendon and let defrost.  It will fix you, if only for a short while, and you will live to run another day.

So, when pain hits mid-run, I will not panic.  I will not flash back to terrible injures, distant and still not-so.  I will not pray to god to make me a bird so I can fly far, far away either.  Rather, I will focus on the giant bag of frozen veggies waiting for me in the freezer, suck it up and throw down another mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment