Sunday, February 13, 2011

Three Words: Ben. Franklin. Bridge.

Dear BFB:  

I'm certain the last time we met I was about 8 pounds lighter, slightly tanned, incredibly freckled and in much better shape.  It was the quiet Saturday morning of Labor Day weekend that only a city 50 miles from the Jersey Shore can enjoy.  I ran back and forth across the Delaware twice that day and then added 4 miles on the Philly side.  I took you for granted and acted as though it wouldn't be 5.5 months until I'd see you again and barely waved goodbye.

Over the last few months, I've driven across you, under you and at the base of you almost every day, eyes fixed on the runner's path.  You were never far from my thoughts.

Today, almost exactly 165 days after my last run across you, I made the turn onto the path, through the chain link door and began the initial Philly to Camden incline.  Apparently, you've grown since the last time I saw you because that initial incline almost killed me.  But, as always, the plateau and the downhill were well worth that uphill; The view of Camden made it appear still and clean from far away and the view of Philly captured a sleeping giant slowly rising.

Of the few runners I passed on my way, all were struggling, some were smiling and others were steadfast in reaching the middle where, for a few brief seconds, the world righted and you were on flat ground. Precious flat ground.

5 miles and 49 minutes later, I felt like I'd said "Hello" to an old friend and made a solid promise to return with no want for warmer, wind-less days.  We have a lot of catching up to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment