Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Winnie the Pooh on Running:

"Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would, I'd never leave."  ~ WTP

In my case, I'm not sure if it's Running (Yes, [R]unning suddenly became a proper noun; much like those that refer to a god as "[H]im, I've so chosen to refer to Running here.) that's more likely to forget me or if it's the other way around.  In the last 5 days, I've worked more than I've slept and, although workouts had moments of greatness, capturing them in writing seemed too far beyond those moments. But the constant remained: Running Shoes at the ready, a beautiful weekend and unlimited stress that needed cooling. 

Saturday, my red hair and freckles blended in amongst the shamrock-clad runners gathering at the base of the Art Museum Steps to embark on the annual "Leprechaun Run."  That morning I learned that people of all ages find green wigs and face paint amusing; that, from the base of the steps to the very top and back down is exactly .10 of 1 mile; and that when you are trying to take the steps two at a time and fall, in the middle of the day, a tourist is bound to have taken your picture - ask to see it.  This 3.68 Mile, 50 minute boot camp forced me to enjoy the moments at the top of the steps and the view on the way down.

Sunday: 7 Miles, 68 Minutes and the Ben Franklin Bridge just after sunrise.  In this setting, even Camden is striking and crisp - like the perfect Fall day.  My legs were sore, my mind was unfocused and my body completely unwilling.  But Running did not leave me; nor did I leave it.  Together we moved across the bridge and back through the hills before and after the Society Hill.  7 Miles later, well earned brilliance. 

I find that it's only on the other side of a stressful time, that one can look back and see what supported you and what didn't; what left and what stayed; what weakened and what endured.  I trust Running more now than ever and, in that, I find it's trusting me back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment