Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Loop.

Dear Philly Runners:

I ran the loop last weekend.  It had been about 8 months and 2 weeks since I'd been across the Falls Bridge and able to look back toward the Art Museum and Boat House Row and wonder where they'd disappeared to - where this new river came from; the one that has rocks and little rapids; the one that you can see down into and think beside; and the one that doesn't look like it runs around a City but runs with a City - like us.

As I set out, I couldn't remember where the water fountains fell or how many bridges were between Strawberry Mansion and the Falls Bridge (2), I regretted not bringing any GU along for the longest run I'd had since August and I was just flat out nervous.  I kept thinking about (and dreading) the "dead zone" between Valley Green and the bleachers for the Regattas where there is nothing to distract you but the sound of your own footsteps and your only friends are the geese flapping their wings in the water.  And then I got there only to realize I was about to run through the Dad Vail Regatta and about 5,000 people moving from tent to tent, beer in hand, flatscreen tv-bound.  Thank whoever for small miracles.

On the other side of the chaos (West River Drive), the crowds and the party were only brilliant echoes of what it was like to move among them, but still thrilling and more than enough to push me the rest of the way back to Market Street with another 11 miles down.

Having spent so much time away from the loop, this was a run I will not soon forget.  More than just a statement from someone looking to conquer her old stomping ground and from one Philly Runner to another, the loop is where I fell in love with running, where I had a fit when I lost it and where I stood, tears in my eyes, as I watched my friends run the Philadelphia Marathon without me.

This run was a long time coming and just as important to me as the first time.  

Let's not forget how lucky we are, Philly Runners!

No comments:

Post a Comment