Sunday, May 1, 2011

My love (and hate) of tapering.

One week before the Broad Street Run: Tapering back from a training schedule I'd originally pegged as soft.  After 8 miles on Sunday, there was 45 minutes on Monday morning, 45 minutes Wednesday night and cross training on Friday morning, with lifting on Tuesday, leaving Thursday and Saturday completely devoted to rest, stretching and pasta.

Add stress and carbs to the tapering and I didn't feel great about anything; Rested, but not sharp.   And such is my relationship with winding down workouts before a race.  I know, in the end, it will be good for me; it will pick me up at mile 8 and remind me I'm rested and ready; it will give me the ability to stretch beyond cramps and will likely allow me to exceed whatever Personal Best lies ahead.  But, I've come to learn that it will not be fun getting there.  The week before a race will be full of frustration at short runs, stress that doesn't disappear with 45 minutes in the morning; carb-related guilt and focus on Game Day.

People run away from things, toward others and indefinitely in one place.  I run to touch peace, if even for a few minutes.  It's the consistency and ease with which running has refined my ability to shed the crazy in life, that I miss during tapering weeks.   To be cut off from what heals you (in any way, anywhere) for even a short while, is a tragedy I don't cope well with.

With that said, I will taper down, begrudgingly, and thank myself for it at mile 8.  

No comments:

Post a Comment