Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Swimming 12 Miles [or just dramatizing a humid run].

Runner's World [August 2011] swears or affirms (as the case may be) that training through (not around) heat and humidity will pay off in the Fall Marathon season.  Here's hoping that's true and the last 90+ days of maxed-out, moisture-wicking, soaking wet running clothes, dehydration, exhaustion, frustration and whatever other -tion words you want to use, will have been for the betterment of our bodies and our mental strength.

On my long runs,  recently 12 miles through Center City, Fairmount, out East River to Manayunk and almost deep enough into Wissahickon to lose the city altogether, it's been difficult to muddle through the heaviness in my lungs and the weakness in my body.  Yet, somehow, by the grace of the running gods and my cheering sections of wild geese parked alongside the river, the trusty old Garmin does not get clicked to an abrupt stop; rather, the run fights me mentally and I win.  Time and time again, the higher the stakes (humidity + new, challenging run + time trials) the better my mind performs, the deeper and more methodic my breathing becomes and the steadier my attitude is.

On such a run, when it is 6AM, 89 degrees and thick air surrounds you, there is no room for nerves; no time for "I don't want to," no patience for doubt or pity or the dangerous valley between them; there is only time for reaction, method and positive energy propelling you forward.  It is you and a giant beast of a day running at each other until one falls down and the other goes on.  While I have yet to put RW August's proclamation to task in cooler weather, I will say this:  training in humidity, heat and horrible made me strong enough to be the one to knock down the day and not look back.

And so, for this crazy summer, I am all the better for your hot days, thick air and surprisingly strong will.  Until we meet again. 






No comments:

Post a Comment